Salisbury Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc. aims to serve the local community amidst COVID-19. Please note the following precautions that are being taken by our agency:
- The Salisbury NHS office is open to the public by appointment only.
- In-person counseling sessions will be conducted by appointment only. Masks are required. Virtual sessions can also be arranged.
- No in-person homebuyer education classes. We will be offering our next workshop in October or an online self-guided version is available through E-Home America by clicking HERE.
- No walk-in’s will be accepted. If you should need to come in our office, please call 410.543.4626 to make an appointment.
- Loan payments can be made through the regular mail.
We urge our clients and the general public to be aware of potential scams and to be proactive when it comes to paying bills such as, mortgage payments and rent. Some helpful tips:
- Contact your mortgage lender at the first sign of insufficient funds. They may be able to help with a forbearance agreement.
- A forbearance agreement is a temporary suspension of mortgage payments. This can last from 3-6months and is not automatic on FHA loans.
- You must contact your lender in order to enroll.
- Remember, this agreement is only temporary and payments may be rolled into your monthly payment or apply to the end of the loan. Be sure to check with each lender as certain rules and restrictions apply.
- Foreclosures that were already in the process before COVID-19 can still go through.
- Avoid phishing e-mails. How to tell? You may notice an incorrect e-mail that is similar to someone you may normally hear from or the misspelling of words within the body of the e-mail.
- Do not give out banking information via e-mail or over the phone. Always ask to speak to an authorized representative.
- The IRS will never contact you over the phone or through e-mail. You will receive a letter in the mail.
- Understand what the facts are for the State of Maryland foreclosure and eviction suspension order.
There are many resources and communications also available outside of what we can provide at Salisbury NHS.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – Mortgage Payment Forbearance and Foreclosure Protection
- Maryland Department of Labor
- Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce – Resource Guide
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Health Departments
- Maryland Food Bank
- Maryland 2-1-1